Friday, November 1, 2013

This week it was the surgery ward that was my placement. It's been amazing, and it sounded like I'll be there next week also. =)

The surgeries that has been done this week are: c-sections, appendixes, hemorrhoids, a goiter and hernia.

The first day went by, doing observations Then the next day they wanted me to scrub in!!

Yikes, a bit hesitant in the beginning - that's for sure. But what to do, but to scrub inn =). I watch closely and handed the instruments to the surgeons. Then I asked if I could film a c-section and they said sure you can, but then the head surgeon said; oh but you can't because I need an assistant. I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. He ran out to get something, and they told me to scrub in. They helped me to prep the lady, get the instruments on the table, and then the lights went out - and they don't have a generator. So when the Dr. surgeon came back he said; are the lights out, this is our problem. But the lady was prepped, and we had to get it done. It went very well, and she gave birth to a healthy baby boy. =)

My phone was used as a flashlight for a while during the surgery, before the electricity came back.

An exciting day at the surgery ward!!

1 comment:

Sarah Lenz said...

Woohoo!!! YEah Inger! That's so exciting! Oh, how I wish I were there with you! So glad you're doing this with Jesus.
Bless you!
Sarah