Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Alih Johnathan

Yet another story that has touched my heart.

This boy born 21.10.13 at 06.15 pm; was 3119 g, 50 cm long, 34 cm around his head and 32 cm around his chest.

The family doctor that helped with the delivery, is part of a medical team from the States. She did an amazing job, if it hadn't been for her I'm not sure he would have been alive. It took some time for him to be delivered, so they needed to use suction to get him out.

When he was born, he was cyanotic and had to be revived. His mother had been holding my hand and was now squeezed it and was wondering if he was alive - if he was breathing. I told her just to keep strong, and that we were helping him to breathe. We were 3 people that worked on him at times - and after a while he took a little breath. But we kept giving him cpr. We understood that he would live, but wanted to put him on oxygen. The midwife did a check up on him, and then...........we saw that there was something in the back of his head that definitely shouldn't be there.

On the visiting medical team, there are a few pediatricians, so I called my dad and asked him to go get one of them and come to the hospital. And he did! The pediatrician and the family doctor checked the little boy and talked, didn't understand all the lingo - but they said this needs to be kept humid so we tried to find some things at the hospital to do that. We needed to wreck our heads to find things to use, because apart from them meds that are used while delivering - the parents to the child needs to bring EVERYTHING.

The doctor on duty was called, and came after a while. During the time of waiting, they thought they had found out what this little boy had, possibly: Meningiocele or Encephalocele. Look it up =). And the doctor said that it sure looked like that. My heart went out to him and his family.

They were told they needed surgery, and that it's not possible here in Antsirabe, meaning they would have to travel to Antananarivo (Tana) - 4 hours away in local transportation. I went home that night thinking about this little boys destiny. I told the mother that I would drop by the next day on my way to the pre-post operation unit.

When I came the next morning the baby was feeding and the mother was at good heart. I asked them what they wanted to do, and they said they would c, concerning the surgery - because they needed to gather money for it first. I went to the head midwife and told her that the bill for the surgery would be taken care of, but that they would have to pay for the rest. The midwife called the grandmother of  Alih Johnathan, and told her the news, and then we told the mother. They had money for the bill at this hospital, so they payed that and went to take public transport to Tana.

And now time will show what happens! I will keep you posted =).

The latest new is that he will get the head scan tomorrow, and then surgery!

No comments: