Tuesday, October 8, 2013

First day!

Don't worry, this is not going to be the norm. =)

Today I came as told right before 8 am, but the doc. H was no where to be seen. So I wanted around for about 30 minutes, with lots of other ppl (they needed the doc, but I didn't)
When he came, he greeted me and said - come follow me, and I did. He walked over to the maternity ward and walked into the office. Two midwifes sat there, and he told them this is a Norwegian lady how is going to doing an apprenticeship at the hospital, and she will be with you here this first week. Then he left, so there we were. They didn't know they were having someone coming, but welcomed me.

So what to do, I'm not a midwife student - but very happy that I had worked at the maternity ward in Kristiansand this summer. That helped a lot, cuz some of the expressions where familiar =). The midwife at work told me she had worked as a midwife for 19 years, so I knew it would be an awesome day.

Many ladies came to get checkups, 2 ladies were in the waiting room for delivery (don't know what's it called in English =).) They both came to get check ups, and one of the ladies needed to go into surgery asap. She got prepared, then into the "block" we went. The lady was terrified, and she couldn't stop crying. When they tried to give her anesthetics, she got even more terrified poor thing. Anyway, she got a healthy boy.

Then more exams, before the midwife was called to come urgently. There was a lady that had been transferred from a different hospital because she had been in labor too long, and the baby was in distress. She came walking into the ward, after a shower =). The midwife told her to get on the bench so that we could prep her for a c-section. But when I looked, the baby's head was already visible - so too late for that. So she walked around the corner to the delivery room, and gave birth to a baby boy.

Fantastic day, it was amazing!

No comments: